Mike Ashmore challenged fans to create a team of all Yankee prospects. What if something horrible happened to the team? I’m not the first blogger to try this, but I think that I can offer a unique take on it.
The Rules: Rookie-eligible players only. I think that this would be much more interesting if we included guys like Phil Hughes, Ian Kennedy, Kei Igawa and Shelley Duncan, because they demonstrate true Yankee depth.
My Strategy: For hitters, we don’t have a lot of MLB-ready replacement players. I’ll take those where I have them, but after that I am going to start looking for defensive players with the best hitting upside. Defense is a skill that for the most part translates through all levels of baseball. My team will have a lot of no-stick gold glovers, but that’s necessary. For pitchers, I’m looking for some combination of stuff and mlb-readiness. I may be betting a bit much on “There Is No Such Thing As A Pitching Prospect” (TINSTAAP) theory, but I think that is the best bet.
Full list after the jump.
- CF: Brett Gardner – Most important member of the lineup
- LF: Austin Jackson – Hope for a breakout
- DH: Chris Malec – On-base machine
- 1b: Juan Miranda
- 3b: Marcos Vechionacci – A bit of a gamble, but could be relatively solid at the plate and with the glove.
- 2b: Kevin Russo
- RF: Seth Fortenberry – Wild card bat + great defense
- C: P.J. Piliterre – Very good on defense
- SS: Ramiro Pena – Can’t hit a lick, but might be the best defensive shortstop in the minors.
- BN: Francisco Cervelli
- BN: Bradley Suttle
- BN: Colin Curtis
- BN: Justin Snyder
- SP1: Alfredo Aceves
- SP2: Phil Coke
- SP3: Dan Giese
- SP4: Dellin Betances – Take the gamble on heat
- SP5: Alan Horne – Duct tape his shoulder back together if necessary
- Closer: Marc Melancon
- RP2: David Robertson
- RP3: Christian Garcia
- RP4: Jon Albaladejo
- RP5: George Kontos
- RP6: Anthony Claggett
- RP7: Wilkins De La Rosa
Could this team beat the worst team in the majors? I think that they would have a fighting chance every once in awhile, considering how good the bullpen is. They’d certainly be the worst team in major league history though.
I don’t think that this exercise is a good demonstration of depth. Take a look at the following pitching staff:
Starting: Phil Hughes, Ian Kennedy, Alfredo Aceves, Kei Igawa, Jason Johnson
Bullpen: Marc Melancon, David Robertson, Phil Coke, Dan Giese, Jon Albaladejo, Wilkins De La Rosa
That’s no playoff staff, but it isn’t half bad either. I think that that staff could theoretically (if a few things break their way) be a below-average (but not rock bottom) major league staff. With a strong defense behind it, they could win games.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- the tao of badass pdf on What about Austin Romine?
- Joey Parkhill on Dante Bichette Jr’s Swing
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
- related web site on The Great Subway Race
- get your lover back on Contact Us
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees